Archive information for this page has been provided by Herring Gut Learning Center (www.herringgut.org).
Founded in the 1870’s, The Burnham and Morrill Clam and Canned Lobster Factory was located where the Monhegan Boat Line is now. Many of their products were shipped south to places like New Orleans. By 1880, Maine had twenty-three lobster canneries. More lobsters left the state in cans than they did in shells. Any size lobster was caught. Ten and a half inch lobsters could be bought for five cents each and smaller lobsters (some only weighing half a pound) were one cent each. Eventually so few lobsters were caught that the cannery went out of business. Size regulations were eventually put in place to protect the lobster population.Monhegan Boat Lines was established in 1914. They have two boats. The Laura B carries passengers, freight, and mail between Port Clyde and Monhegan Island. The Elizabeth Ann takes passengers on Puffin and lighthouse cruises and is available for special events.